Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 103,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Seeking an experienced, highly-motivated, enthusiastic, Staff Electrical Engineer / Technical Leader with extensive experience in Analog and Mixed Signal Design to join the Electrical Engineering Department within the Cardiac Resynchronization Management Division of Abbott. This role will emphasize design, new technology, product development, simulation/modeling, directing characterization/testing efforts, hands on troubleshooting/analysis, and provide mentorship and technical leadership for implantable medical devices. As a Staff Engineer, this individual will lead and drive programs as a subject matter expert, mentor and provide guidance to junior level staff, be able to present and review information with colleagues and upper management and coordinate with other functional teams throughout the program.
• Design and development hardware with an emphasis on Analog and Mixed Signal Systems to be used in new product and technology development of implantable medical devices. This includes directing testing and characterization efforts, simulation and modeling, data mining and analysis, deep-level troubleshooting and analysis and following Design Controls for Quality System Regulations.
• Initiates the planning, organization, performing, coordinating and/or directing of engineering work, and may conduct technical performance assessments and evaluations.
• High level circuit simulation using PSpice and other tools such as Mentor Graphics HyperLynx.
• Designing a variety of engineering test tools, mock-up circuits, sockets and fixtures required throughout the development purposes.
• Working with a PCB Design Engineer to layout designs, understand design constraints, and ensuring part placement.
• Remaining abreast of technical advancements and component technology shifts for developing the next generation implantable medical devices.
• Authoring of design verification plans, documents and reviews reports.
• Ability to present data and analysis through formal presentations and reviews to peers and upper management.
• Ability to completely utilize engineering equipment in the lab such as oscilloscopes, function generators, logic and network analyzers, SMUs, etc…
• Provides guidance and mentorship to other engineers, junior level engineers, technicians and co-ops.
• Design and documents custom tools and simulations to support document control and tool release.
• Support all Company initiatives as identified by management and in support of Quality Management Systems (QMS), Environmental Management Systems (EMS), and other regulatory requirements.
• Complies with U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations, other regulatory requirements, Company policies, operating procedures, processes, and task assignments. Maintains positive and cooperative communications and collaboration with all levels of employees, customers, contractors, and vendors.
• Provides engineering support to other functions and organization such as Manufacturing, Supply Chain and Operations.
• Performs other related duties and responsibilities, on occasion, as assigned.
Additional Job Description
Works primarily in a standard office environment with air conditioning, good lighting with a low to moderate noise level. May also visit research labs, testing labs, production and other areas as well as vendor facilities as necessary.
Activities require a significant amount of sitting in front of a computer monitor, some standing and walking. Significant use of hands and arms, plus finger dexterity to reach, point, write, type, operate a computer and other office equipment. Performs tasks that regularly require good correctable vision and hand/eye coordination. Activities also require significant use of voice and hearing for discussions with other employees.
• Master’s degree in electrical engineering or related engineering field with eight years’ experience or Bachelor’s degree with ten years’ experience in industry.
• Demonstrated ability to develop new design features as part of existing systems.
• Documented record of delivering tool engineering information which adds value to management’s decision-making process.
• Demonstrated ability to understand and comply with applicable FDA regulations and Company operating procedures, processes, policies and tasks.
• Advanced personal computer skills, including spreadsheet, word processing, database management, and specialized applications.
• Advanced credential or professional certification in a relevant discipline/concentration desired.