Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 103,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
We are currently recruiting for an energetic and hands-on Sr. Product Support Systems Engineer - R&D to join our Westford, MA Location. The engineer will support systems engineering activities such as system design, development of requirements, troubleshooting, verification and validation testing for our imaging and physiology medical device systems.
• Drives and executes verification and validation plans and testing of the system integration (SW, HW and Disposable) to meet performance requirements.
• Understands software coding and conducting investigation activities to resolve problems.
• Understands design and implementation process of software in current programming languages (e.g. C#, C, C++, Python).
• Drives information gathering from a cross-functional team, identifies and negotiates solutions based on technical and regulatory constraints, and defines/documents the design requirements of the system.
• Works in close collaboration with development engineers to ensure requirements are fully understood and correctly implemented.
• Gains deep technical understanding of various components within a complex medical device system in order to define system interface requirements (i.e. HW, SW, disposable).
• Leads the resolution of complex problems related to system use, installation and testing.
• Creates and process documentation of change orders, protocols, reports and procedures.
• Interacts with internal and external team members and vendors.
• Complies with U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations, other regulatory requirements, company policies, operating procedures, processes, and task assignments.
• Up to approx. 10% global travel.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical, Electro-mechanical, Computer Engineering or related engineering discipline.
• 6+ years of relevant work experience on complex electro-mechanical systems with a graphical user interface.
• Software coding experience in software development (e.g. programming-heavy coursework, school projects, freelance work and professional experience).
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with ability to communicate to all levels of the organization.
• Experience collaborating with cross-functional teams in a geographically diverse, matrixed organization.
• Ability to travel globally.
• Master’s Degree in Electrical, Electro-mechanical, Computer Engineering or related engineering discipline.
• Medical device experience.
• IEC 60601-1 experience.