Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 103,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Abbott Diabetes Care, based in Alameda, Calif., is a leader in developing, manufacturing and marketing FreeStyle glucose monitoring systems designed to help people better manage their diabetes. Abbott is seeking an experienced privacy professional to assist with data privacy for this business group. The successful candidate should have a proven track record in collaboratively and pragmatically directing data protection needs and issues for a multi-national company. He/she has experience in presenting to senior executives and/or outside directors, is a self-starter who successfully works in "virtual" teams and cross-functional working groups and works effectively with Regulators.
Qualified Candidate is expected to build effective relationships with business unit leaders and other clients, and to partner with Abbott's global Legal and IT organizations. He/she also works with numerous other privacy stakeholders around the world.
- Inform and advise the data controller or processor and its employees of their obligations to comply with the GDPR and other data protection laws
- Monitor compliance including manage internal data protection activities, train data processing staff and conduct internal auditing and monitoring.
- Advise on data protection impact assessments when required under Article 35 of the GDPR.
- Work and cooperate with the controller’s or processor’s designated supervisory authority on issues relating to the processing of personal data.
- Be available for inquiries from data subjects on issues relating to data protection practices
- J.D. or equivalent degree is highly preferred.
- 8+ years of global privacy experience in a multi-national company (medical device, pharmaceutical, consumer goods, or healthcare preferred) or a global law firm.
- Privacy or compliance accreditation highly preferred.
- Strong knowledge of data protection and information security laws, rules and regulations, as well as industry leading-practices and standards.
- In-depth experience with U.S. privacy regulations and EU data protection laws is required