Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 103,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Primary Function / Primary Goals / Objectives:
The Controls Engineer implements and maintains plant equipment, systems and other fixed assets to a high standard of safety, quality and productivity at the lowest possible cost while maintaining compliance with all applicable regulatory requirements. This role provides electrical, controls system, software, and instrument support to all aspects of the operation.
- Operations Technical Support - Provide technical support to the Tipp City plant, division engineering, and the Quality Assurance function in the areas electrical hardware, control systems, software, and industrial vision systems to support new product introductions, new process/equipment start-up, process optimizations, vendor qualifications, and process alternative evaluations. Implement new and/or current manufacturing methods into manufacturing. Monitor production to determine areas of improvement and react to unforeseen production/manufacturing issues. Provide technical training to plant personnel including engineering, equipment operators, electricians, instrument technicians, and maintenance. Create and execute validation activities according to plant/division policy. Key software support includes Rockwell software suite including FTView ME/SE, Logix 5000, FTBatch.
- Project Management – Plans and conducts small to medium-sized projects within the controls engineering function. Responsibilities include detailed project planning/monitoring, project reviews, implementation, validation, and release to production.
- Design Engineering - Complete electrical, controls, and software related engineering activities incorporating best available technologies while adhering to Abbott policies, regulatory requirements, GMP standards, Abbott Engineering Standards and Environmental, Health / Safety regulations. Create equipment/process specifications, drawings, and software as required and ensure that existing documentation is accurate and appropriate. Research, recommend, implement, and qualify replacement parts for discontinued/obsolete components, equipment, and software.
- Cost Reduction/Productivity Improvement - Identify and implement cost reduction and productivity improvement projects within Abbott Nutrition. Areas of focus include process improvements, new manufacturing processes, and new technologies.
- EHS - Demonstrate accountability and responsibility for Environmental Health and Safety performance and compliance through active participation and support of Abbott’s EHS program.
Other Duties - Responsible for implementing and maintaining the effectiveness of the Quality System. Performs other work-related duties as assigned.
B.S. in Engineering with an emphasis on electronics, controls systems, and software. Degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering preferred.
Background / Experience:
2+ years experience in engineering/project management or advanced education to achieve level of skill.
- Project management experience desired.
- Work experience in the food / medical industry under FDA regulation preferred.
- Practical experience in electrical design, controls systems, PLC / servo programming, industrial vision systems, process instrumentation and electrical devices.
- Good communication skills, both written and verbal required.
- Possesses a working technical knowledge and application of concepts, practices, and procedures. Works on problems of moderate scope where analysis of situations or data involves a review of identifiable factors. Exercises judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action.
- Strong leadership skills required. Interacts well with diverse groups within the operation and maintains strong working relationships with internal in a collaborative, fast-paced, goal-driven environment. Listens to and understands others’ points of view; possesses interpersonal skills to negotiate and reconcile differences.
Accountability / Scope/Budget:
- Interfaces with production team members, department managers, and Division Engineering / QA functions.
- May represent department/plant on projects or segments of projects.
- Receives general supervision and exercises some discretion as to work details. Reviews and approves related inputs such as drawings and specifications prepared by technical support personnel. May determine technical objectives of assignments; exercises latitude in approach to problem solving.
- Leads small project teams / supports larger programs to successful completion. Responsible for completing projects tasks within time and budget constraints. Prepares design specifications and recommendations for presentation and approval.
- Work is reviewed for overall accuracy, completeness, soundness of technical judgment.
- Identifies and quantifies technical risks and their consequences relative to the success of a project; recommends appropriate action, e.g. reports calculations and recommendations in terms concrete enough for management to make an informed decision.
- Coordinates efforts with technical and support staff. Guides the efforts of technicians and outside personnel.
- This position has a direct impact on productivity and performance throughout the plant. This includes product quality and the effective utilization of headcount / equipment.
- This job is performed in a regulated quality system environment. Failure to adequately perform tasks can result in noncompliance with governmental regulations.
- This position is accountable for regulatory compliance of the Maintenance operation including equipment change control.
NOTE: This job description is illustrative of the types of duties typically performed by this role. It is not intended to be an exhaustive listing of each and every essential function. Because job content may change from time to time, the Company reserves the right to modify this job description at any time.